Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bolognese Sauce

I'm so sorry I've been away for so long!!! I've had a little trouble with my recovery. My advice to you- listen to your doctor and follow all of your post-op recommendations! REST after surgery and don't try to take on too much, too soon!

But anyways, I've been extremely bored with this whole healing process. It's really getting in the way of all my half-finished projects... Last night, however, I got back in the kitchen. I wanted to make something simple, yet delicious. So, I bring to you: my version of Bolognese Sauce, adapted mostly from a recipe I found in AllRecipes magazine a while back. My photo didn't do this sauce justice, so I decided to leave it out...

Bolognese Sauce

What You'll Need:
1/2 lb. ground beef (I always use 10% Or LESS fat)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 of a large onion, diced
1/2 of a large carrot, grated
1 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 small bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste, a generous amount
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/4 cup water
2 T. butter
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat a large covered pot over medium-high heat. Add beef, garlic, onion, and carrot. Cook until meat is just cooked through and drain out any extra grease.

2. Add the oregano, garlic powder, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce, simmering for 1 1/2 hours. Keep covered for at least the first hour, so the sauce doesn't concentrate too much.

3. Over medium heat, add the butter and Parmesan cheese to the sauce until melted.
Serve over cooked pasta. Yields about 5 cups of sauce, about 6 servings. I prefer smaller noodles with this sauce, such as Rigatoni.

This is a super simple, yet super scrumptious, authentic Italian dish. Now get to cookin'! And stay tuned- as soon as I get to feeling a little better, I'll be revealing my Renter's Garden and my fool-proof way to paint furniture!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a suggestion for me? Have a recipe in mind?